Ever since my failed attempt at making falafels 2 years ago I had this fear of making them. Finally I made some and I’m really happy with the outcome and the secret is to use dried chickpeas. It seems like a lot of work but if you plan ahead, it’s quite easy!
- 250 grams dried chickpeas
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Olive oil
- Pita bread
- Soak the chickpeas for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
2. Mix the chickpeas with the onions, 3 cloves garlic, a teaspoon of olive oil and all the spices on the ingredients list and blend all in a food processor or blender until it becomes into a paste like consistency.
3. Pre heat the oven at 190 degrees Celsius.
4. Scoop the mixture and make falafels balls!
4. Bake the falafels for 20 minutes, if you want it crispier on the outside you can leave it inside the oven for another 3 minutes.
Mix 1/2 cup of tahini, juice of one lemon, one garlic clove, 1/4 cup of water, 2 teaspoons of olive oil, a few parsley leaves and a dash of salt and pepper to taste.